Scams and frauds are among the many commonest issues of each employers and freelancers who work on freelance writing websites like oDesk or Elance. Getting scammed on Elance, Guru.com or oDesk is a definite chance, even when these freelancing web sites have techniques in place which defend trustworthy individuals from getting conned by unscrupulous people.
One of many causes for which persons are being fooled by freelance scams is the complexity of freelancing websites like oDesk. For some, there are just too many choices to set, too many issues to look at for, and so forth. oDesk has a complete system in place to keep away from frauds. Their motto is Verified Work – Assured Cost , however sadly even their escrow system cannot fully defend individuals from falling victims to shrewd people.
For those who're a contractor, listed here are a number of tricks to keep away from falling sufferer to oDesk scams:
- For those who're working hourly , you're just about secure. The escrow system of oDesk (or Elance and Guru) ensures that you’re paid, so long as you're engaged on what you have been presupposed to, you're billing the time within the devoted utility (oDesk Staff), and also you're justifying your work with memos. A memo is a straightforward description of what you’re doing at a selected second. Eg: Writing article about oDesk scams or Finishing touchdown web page for web site. It's a good suggestion to make sure about memos … you by no means know when a nasty state of affairs can develop.
- Most oDesk rip-off makes an attempt seem when engaged on mounted charge tasks . Really, oDesk particularly asks you to verify that you simply perceive the dangers of engaged on mounted charge tasks, earlier than making use of to such jobs. In mounted charge tasks, you should not have any ensures about when or if you’ll obtain your cash.
- Test the employer's suggestions – once you apply for a job on freelance websites, you may see the historical past of the employers – verify their total score, and browse the feedback of fellow freelancers, who labored with the employer earlier than. For those who spot one thing suspicious, or many destructive feedback, it's an indication that you simply're coping with a nasty employer or a downright rip-off try.
- If the employer is new, contemplate the job supply – if you end up provided numerous cash to do a easy factor, suppose completely why that occurs. It might imply that the employer is inexperienced or naive, however typically it may be a lure set by a fraudster.
- Ask for upfront or milestone funds – a small upfront charge paid by the employer could also be an indication of fine religion, however many employers dislike upfront funds, as a result of they’re too afraid of oDesk scams. Another choice, appropriate for long-term fixed-fee jobs is to barter a schedule of milestone funds (partial funds), because the mission advances.
- Talk solely by way of the freelance web site – oDesk and Elance have their very own messaging techniques, which is normally sufficient to speak with an employer. To be further cautious, it’s best to solely talk with the employer by way of these techniques; keep away from prompt messaging for essential messages.
Hopefully, these advices ought to aid you keep away from fraud makes an attempt. For those who do fall sufferer to an oDesk rip-off, don’t panic. File a ticket on oDesk help and clarify the state of affairs as detailed as potential. They are going to analyze the state of affairs and for those who're fortunate you may get your hard-earned cash.
easy methods to